Stories From the Field

Stories From the Field

Post: Residential Chimney Rebuild

Thursday July 1, 2010

This residential chimney's bricks were severely deteriorated, causing a water leak and mold growth in the homeowner's attic. (Notice the face of the brick peeling away from the top left side of the chimney.) In addition, the TV antenna—no longer in use—created additional torque to the brick structure during windy days.

We dismantled and rebuilt the chimney, and in the process found cracks in the top 4 feet of clay flue tile. We determined this to be the primary contributor to the degradation of the chimney. We rebuilt the chimney using new bricks and clay flue tiles. The work was warrantied for two years against defects in labor and materials and the leaks have stopped.

Before:
Before...
After:
After!

Back to Stories Home...